Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Virtual Assistance....Say What???

I have spent the last year building my virtual assistance practice. The profession itself is 10+ years old. It never fails though....Anytime I tell someone what I do, they look at me with a puzzled look of numerous reactions....some surprise, some curiousity, some concern (they think I have been taken for by a get rich quick/home based business scheme) and so on. While most show some interest and ask, and then politely go on, there are actually people in the world that are interested. Some so much they actually want me to work for them (in a legitimate business opportunity:) ).

So, after experiencing numerous reactions, I decided I would blog a little bit about a virtual assistant (ME) and how it can work for you!!! Then, I would direct you to my links section. It has my website link where you can find out more about my practice:)

Virtual assistance. Well lets break it down. It is virtual. It means no commute, no getting ready to go somewhere, no getting out of my PJs (if I choose). It means being in my very nice home office with my three computers working away for my clients. I am sure you are now asking...DOING WHAT?

With the advancments in technology, you can do almost anything for anyone no matter what distance is between you. I check clients email. I organize/create databases. I manage calendars and send reminders. I confirm appointments. I make travel arrangements. I work on websites. I do light bookkeeping and so on.

There are a couple of keys to this type of working arrangement. While training at AssistU this last winter/spring, I learned about the importance of the relationship and the fit between the assistant and small business owner. It is the key to a good working relationship. My practice is set up in a way that my clients and I don't have an employee/employer relationship. Instead, we are collaborative partners.

Another difference is that being a VA is not the same as running a secretarial service. I am not doing piece work for my clients and then ending the relationship. Instead, I am building a trusting relationship and getting into each of my clients' businesses in order to help them set and reach goals and build their businesses beyond their expectations. I am helping others (what I love to do) do what they love to do and allowing them to leave the administrative tasks to me.

While I will gladly work with anyone (the more well rounded I can be and more I can learn, the better), my focus is finding coaches/authors for clients. Coaches (life and business) get what we do as virtual assistants. Not that others don't, but coaches are teaching their clients everyday about the benefits of delegating. They are walking advertisements for virtual assistants.

The purpose is two-fold really! One purpose of this is to educate my family and friends about what I am up too! The second purpose is to send you to my website http://lesleyfisher.com and if you or someone you know needs a virtual assistant or would just like to learn more, feel free to contact me anytime!

No comments: