Thursday, February 19, 2009

Trips

We take so many in life. I am not taking about the ones that you spend weeks planning and then get to leave and go away from it all for a couple of days. I am not talking about little day trips here and there.

I am talking about the trips in life that come up everyday. I am talking about those trips we take everyday whether intentional or not. I am talking about those first times we do things like leave our children at school, or start a new job.

We had a first kind of trip today. Damon made a trip to the principal's office. I should preface this story with the fact that Kevin and I have put the fear of God into the boys about being in trouble. And granted Damon went to the principal's office last year because his teacher just needed a place for him to cool down. He never actually spoke to the principal. Today was different. He was at recess with our principal and kicked the boogy board and threw a fit. The principal told him to go and sit in his office. Mr. Mendell then explained to him that he couldn't throw a fit like that over something so insignificant.

I was very proud of Damon. I know, imagine that. He didn't try to hide any of this from me. Instead, he came home with those big puppy dog brown eyes and I just knew instantly something wasn't right. I asked and he started crying before he even got inside. He told me what happened (all of it). I think Mom might have shocked him too: I didn't yell or scream at him. Instead, I explained what he did that was wrong, he spent some time in his room and got credit for the fact that he didn't lie to me.

I am sure his trip home was excruciating enough knowing that he would have to tell Mom and Dad what happened. It is a trip that I doubt he forgets for awhile.

They get to take one of those cool day trips tomorrow: we are going to the circus with their class. The boys are so excited! I am excited to get to go and go with my good friends to OKC. It will be a treat!

I will have to post more about that trip tomorrow:) And I would encourage each of you to go down memory lane and think about those trips in life...The other ones! They can be just as meaningful, if not more, than the ones we spend weeks planning.

No comments: